Sunday, May 24, 2009

The Yellow Submarine Build

I've started this project months ago, but it was put on a 3 month hiatus because I hadn't found a frame. Then on one sunday afternoon while trolling craigslist, I found this old ladies Araya road bike for $25 dollars. Didnt do much research on the frame, but it has to be from the 70's, maybe early 80's. The build had begun.


The plan was to make it singlespeed with a coaster brake. It was going to be ALL black with baby blue accents, but I ended up falling in love with the yellow. I also didn't want to trash a couple of the badges. So I decided that since the rider of the bike is a beatles fan, this ride would become Yellow Submarine themed.

Going to let the pictures do most of the talking.




trash

after trash


just playing with colors

oh yeah, this was april 20th... the worst night of our lives, and this is josh feeling the aftermath

Josh let me do most of the work... he later found out that this decision was probably a mistake! I almost blew everyone's ear drums by exploding the intertube while inside the wheel and tire. Luckily it didnt bend the rim or ruin the tire.


this is my favorite part of the bike... it set it off so well i think





side note: there's decal lines on the top tube, i actually removed those. Just forgot to take a picture after i did. there's also a Yellow submarine spoke card i made for it. Here's the image i used for the spoke card.

And to top off the bike, a custom bike lock I made, with a removable fabric cover. If anybody wants one of these, get at me.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

damn son. i want this bike. fer realz

-ash

VBHC said...

looks tight. let's ride!