Saturday, March 28, 2009

four - friday

Day four started off a little later. I kept waking up in the middle of the night due to being use to my Virginia schedule. I even got a call at like 4am (10 am Eastern time), answered it with no hesitations or angst, and it was the mattress people letting me know they didn't fuck up this time. I will have a mattress at the new place come tuesday! yes!

walked on over to whaler's village to catch the dollar bus to Lahaina



needless to say, it was slam packed. Got there and went straight to the moped rental place. It was way more expensive than what I expected it to be, but totally worth it. I rode the fuck out of that thing. Here she is...




an uncomfortable, seat sloped down, little red 50cc scooter. I drove it to the ground. went and explored the western tip of Maui. I cruised up and down front street, which is part of Lahaina town, searching for anything surfable. Unfortunately that wasn't the case. I drove back up the highway in hopes in finding flemings beach. This is where the break was suppose to have a little bump. Never found it : ( but it didnt keep me from exploring. I did find this awkwardly intriguing cemetary. Covered in dirt and stones, it was an older Japanese cemetary. Super beautiful. it lined the beach for about a block or so.















i was set back by the sheer awesomeness of this resting place for dead, then I saw this on a nearby dumpster.



I can respect culture, but I just cant respect that. sorry : (

i went back to thrashing the streets of western maui. Here's a video of me being stupid. 45mph, and working some angles



about a mile or so down from the cemetary, I ran into a local and his kid selling poi from the back of his truck!!!!! this is the kind of shit i wanted to experience while i was here, so i forked over some cash for the goods.




went back to the hotel to try it out, and actually put sunscreen on, bc like an idiot, i didnt before i got the moped, and i had already been out for 2 hours ripping through the streets.


*** i did make a video of me trying poi, but i look like an idiot. i make a very disgusted face, then proceed to say it tastes like glue.***

i wasn't impressed with the hype about poi. I immediately text message a friend to ask what should i do to make my poi experience better and she gave me some pointers. i skipped on that though. I decided to go to lunch instead. I went to the same exact place since the food was free.

of course i had another big swell ipa. I had the california rolls as an appetizer (refer to last post), then i had the "maui plate" special.



Top left: potato/macaroni salad. next to that, pickled veggies
Top right: steamed white rice...nom
Bottom left: herb batter crusted chicken breast
Bottom right: a teriyaki'd beef
and theres a sauce in the top right of the picture for the chicken and beef that just tasted like soy sauce and teriyaki mixed together.

all in all the meal was awesome. That big swell ipa is fucking amazing.

back to scooter terrorizing. you can see the signs to the start of my sunburn. angles, i haz them.



came across an actual Local Motion shop. The dood was very humble and awesome. We just talked about randomness and breaks. I ended up going back on day 5 to buy extra luggage due to the friendliness



two seconds down the road was this........oh fuck!



went to town and searched for a co-workers request that she paid me for. That took up all my time before I had to go back to the hotel to get ready for the Luau. Sunburned as fuck, i decided to take a cold shower. Idiot me decided it would be a great idea to wash my face with face wash. After about a minute of sitting, I screamed and immediately rushed my face under the shower head. Felt like a straight chemical burn. I got out of the shower to put on the aloe t-mobile supplied, and it immediately evaporated on my face due to the heat. haha! Fucking hate being sunburned.

all of the winners gathered in the courtyard to take one big group photo. I stood in the back and all the way to the left so that way i could stand out in bright flannel and find myself later. haha. They made us say "stick together" and "peak achievement" as we were taking the pictures. T-mobile hates me, i know it. So i just let out a mutter both times that had the same rhythm but could be loosely translated to, "ugghhhhhh ooogaraaaaaaahhhhh."

we get to the luau and it was obviously set up for the touristy visiting groups, but honestly, it was my FAVORITE part about the trip. I could name a hundred things that went wrong during my hawaiian trip (most of which you'll read about in my next post), but the luau made me love hawaii. Its pretty much what i wanted to experience with hawaii. Chatted with some local doods who were just chill spirited and stoked on their culture. here's some pics






these guys supplied the background music for dinner and the night, and for most of the presentation later. What makes me even more stoked is that the dood would throw up a shaka for my picture while playing, and just smiled. The culture is just way hospitable, even if its for a sunburnt tourist. thanks dood!


greg and i took advantage of the photo oppurtunity that the Hawaiian sunset gave us.




sunburned as fuck!


moving on to my favorite part. you guessed it, food! Everyone gathered around the pit while these dood's just told the story and tradition behind cooking the pig underneath the ground.


then the unveiling came, and people went nuts with their cams. myself included, but for you readers of course... not because im some stereotypical tourist : p



this is what the pit looked like after the pig and gentlemen left.



once the pig meat was separated and set up, everything was put in place buffet style



i got everything worth trying. everything i came to hawaii for pretty much. everything else was just normal buffet food with an island twist. This is what i had been waiting on my whole trip.



***click to enlarge the picture***

*top of the plate moving from right to left, then in counter clockwise*
- melon
- Ahi Poke (yellowfin tuna). a salad mixed with onions and some other veggies
- pineapple dividing the two salads
- He'e Poke (octopus). a salad mixed with tomatos and other herbs and veggies.
- Uala (sweet potato)
- BBQ Guava Glazed Chicken
- Pua'a Lay Lau (pork wrapped in taro root)
- Pulehu Steak
- Kalua Pua'a
- Mahi Mahi
- and being cut half off in the right of the picture in the black cup, Poi. yeah i gave it a second try.

I was going to do a write up review for each, but all of them would say the same thing... "FUCKING AMAZING!!!!" holy fuck was everything so good. Poi+Pork = AMAZING! best shit ever, and also the best advice i could get from my friend earlier.

here was dessert



After dinner the hosts of the luau did a presentation of their culture and history from the beginning to present times through dancing, drums and music, story telling, and chants. Not to sound like a tourist again, but it was beautiful. I loved it. I stood the whole time and didnt miss one second of it. i didnt take many pictures bc none of them were coming out good, but it was seriously so amazing. Seeing people that are waaaaaaaay into their culture like that is truly inspiring, and something you dont really see back home. Def backed, and def something that made my trip in maui awesome.




we went back to the hotel to conclude the night. i was sweating hard, not from the flannel but from the sunburn on my face. Nobody was really up for anything bc everyone was exhausted, and even more so after eating the most amazing meal i've had since being in Maui.

although still no surf, day 4 was the absolute best day in Maui, Hawaii.

1 comment:

amber dawn said...

that video had me weak. ahahaha